At CIBC, we are in business to help our clients, employees, and shareholders achieve what matters to them.
Succeeding will mean living by our values – Trust, Teamwork, Accountability – and creating value for all who have a stake in CIBC.
The bank's history in Georgetown dates back to January 16, 1875, when the Bank of Hamilton opened a branch in town.
The Bank of Hamilton was founded in September 1872 in the City of Hamilton. Its Georgetown branch was the third one ever opened by the bank and was Halton County's first chartered bank branch. By the time the Bank of Hamilton was acquired by The Canadian Bank of Commerce in December 1923, it had 144 branches mostly west of Ontario to British Columbia. (see attached photos circa 1923 and 1957)
The branch was re-branded to CIBC on June 1, 1961, when The Commerce and the Imperial Bank of Canada merged to form the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC).
The Canadian Bank of Commerce continued to conduct business from the former Bank of Hamilton building. However, by the mid-1960s the branch needed to expand, so CIBC bought part of the building next to its branch on Main Street. Both buildings were demolished and a new branch, our current premises, opened in 1971.
Moments in History
This building was erected in 1971 to house the Georgetown Branch of the Bank of Commerce. It stands on the site once occupied by the Mammoth House, a store owned by William McLeod. The bank occupied part of the building since 1917. In May of 1970, the bank purchased the adjoining property from Mr. G.L. Garner and demolished both buildings to make room for the present structure. The McLeod building occupied two of three identical stores erected simultaneously in 1879. The store next door to the Bank is the remaining part.